Sunday, October 21, 2007

Metallic night flower (happy mother's day)

Happy mother's day (it is mother's day in Argentina).
As I told in my post "Spies", my mother saved my family from being teared apart by the military during the last dictatorship. She was strong during very dark months. This might sound self-prising, but it is true that I've inherited from my mother -and I thank to her- the ability of not abandoning a soul in need while it goes through long dark times. I thank to her the giant amount of bed time tales she read to me when I was a kid, I've got my taste for art in general from that. I thank to her she is a lioness fighting for just causes; many moral obligations I feel has been inherited from that. As every person she has imperfections. But this very low-contrast image was inspired by the times she fought for keeping the family safe, and having my father back home from arrest, while those very dark times of the dictatorship. She was a very tough flower in the middle of the night. And, as every mother has to go through hard times, this is dedicated to every mother too.

My mother groaned, my father wept:
Into the dangerous world I leapt,
Helpless, naked, piping loud,
Like a fiend hid in a cloud.

Struggling in my father's hands,
Striving against my swaddling bands,
Bound and weary, I thought best
To sulk upon my mother's breast.

William Blake, "Infant sorrow".

4 comments:

runnerfrog said...

But I have to admit that, as I see the value of life, and excuse my "sacrilege": every mother is the mother of god, so it was very difficult to choose between Blake and this one by W.B. Yeats:


The threefold terror of love, a fallen flare
Through the hollow of an ear;
Wings beating about the room;
The terror of all terrors that I bore
The Heavens in my womb.

Had I not found content among the shows
Every common woman knows,
Chimney corner, garden walk,
Or rocky cistern where we tread the clothes
And gather all the talk?

What is this flesh I purchased with my pains,
This fallen star my milk sustains,
This love that makes my heart's blood stop
Or strikes a sudden chill into my bones
And bids my hair stand up?


William Butler Yeats, "The mother of God".

runnerfrog said...

:-)
Thanks a lot Tai!

The Blind Moon Goddess said...

Beautiful picture. The metaphor is very apt. Some mothers are indeed flowers that dare to bloom amidst the darkness and the raging storms of life.

Thank you for posting this.

D.

runnerfrog said...

Thank you for your kind comment, D.

C.

Blog Archive