Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Sun falling into the sea



I've been working for days in this one, almost obsessed, and yet, it looks childish. After many hours of work, genetic algorithms start to seem the wrong way to use to find the image you look for. I was looking for an image of the sun falling to the sea, or hitting the sea; without knowing clearly why. I've heard from artists I admire that an artist doesn't always have to know why it looks for some symbol or why exactly it takes a particular path... not always. Anyway I don't consider myself an artist yet, but that idea consolate me while I was obsessed looking for a particular image... the thing now looks somehow like I was looking for, better in some way; instead of a sun hitting the sea, the sun almost bends the sea on impact, symbolizing that particular catastrophic effect I was needing to see.
In the symbolic field I'm not quite sure why I was looking for this; just know that the sea, in the more simple simbolization, represents the love as a rule of nature; the sun represents the love as a human feeling; the falling, the decadence. Following this particular way of thinking the sun sinking into the sea might be the love of a person -in heartbreak, without balance with the object of affection (the moon)- going for a sublimation to remain in acts over the rest of its life, but the beloved is not present. Quite enough a personal catastrophe to my taste; like a cosmic giant crash.

The folds of the sea crash like whips on my skin.
And the stars of the sea tear me apart.
The evening of the sea is one of screaming wounds for the lonely,
But lovers find the good death of their day dreams...
Be there soon, you with pain in your eye, the sea hurts.
Be there soon, you who suffer in love, the sea is killing me.
Your hands are cool saints. Cover me with them,
The sea is burning on me.
But why don't you help me! But help!... Cover me. Save me.
Cure me, friend and woman.
[...]

Alfred Lichtenstein, "Song of Kuno Kohn's longing".

No comments:

Blog Archive