Monday, January 12, 2009

Creature of the Light Nº5



I am a shell. From me you shall not hear
The splendid tramplings of insistent drums,
The orbed gold of the viol's voice that comes,
Heavy with radiance, languorous and clear.
Yet, if you hold me close against the ear,
A dim, far whisper rises clamorously,
The thunderous beat and passion of the sea,
The slow surge of the tides that drown the mere.

Others with subtle hands may pluck the strings,
Making even Love in music audible,
And earth one glory. I am but a shell
That moves, not of itself, and moving sings;
Leaving a fragrance, faint as wine new-shed,
A tremulous murmur from great days long dead.

Stephen Vincent Benet, "A minor poet".

6 comments:

Katie Bowen said...

At the risk of sounding like a "Pattern" groupie--I really love the work you've been doing lately and this one is no exception.

Beautiful colors--the shape reminds me of a reptile's discarded skin.

runnerfrog said...

Oh Em Gee!!! I have a groupie! :-) Such a crazy stuff. Is that your skin, my groupie? Are you naked now to show your frog star a bit of reptilian crawling love? :-)
Oh, you amused me so well. With this, I recovered for this morning the humour I had last night. Nice to keep it.

Katie Bowen said...

Who are you and what have you done with runnerfrog?

runnerfrog said...

I'm gorfrennur, his vardøger. And I'm committed to make him be committed. I'll take his place until they commit him, and then, he will be committed instead of me.
Now, if the word verification "Undette" means what I think -undress frogette- then you should right now, since you're a groupie. You must be committed to your northern frog star, gorfrennur, and stop asking frogging questions. :-)

Katie Bowen said...

How dare you! I don't undette for just anyone!

Until runnerfrog returns, I'm renaming this blog, "Pattern Unrecognizable!"

runnerfrog said...

LOL

Oh, my belly!

Blog Archive