Friday, May 30, 2008

Experimental, 3D L-Systems

Just trying to go a step further again, I slowly started to create a third branch of my software to create 3D L-Systems now. The first phase was (and still is) 2D Evolutionary Art through genetic algorithms, the second was (and still is) 3D Evolutionary Art through the 3D application of genetic algorithms.
So this are my first results on 3D L-Systems, one quite new path for digital art, as 3D art through genetic algorithms also is, to be fair.
The biggest problem I have for the results on 3D L-Systems is the same that I have for genetic algorithms: the position of the camera, the view tends to get blocked by the growing 3D objects. The easiest is the scenery (because is a simple scenery too), my friends use to ask me about how the scenery interacts with the generated objects and it is very simple: Pov-Ray takes care of it once the camera position and the lights position is given, and my scenery only consists of one or two planes only, so it is mostly a mirage.

This was my seventh attempt of an image, and I show this one instead of the first because in this one I was able to get transparency and specular reflection in the textures. This was the first version of this attempt, and it's a set of growing objects (simple cubes) through 3D L-Systems, note the arborescent structure:



Green cubes again! ;-)
To this first version I added a fractal background by the same module I'm using since my second branch of the software, this only takes a minute to input the parameters and render, this is the second version, same objects, now with a simple scenery:




I'm using Pov-Ray 64-bits as my rendering engine, and its text source files of every scene use to hit the stunning size of 30 MB.
I've not seen yet great developments on genetic algorithms for 3D visual arts or 3D L-Systems for the same purpose, but eventually, as the field evolves, I'll get ideas from some other people so I can go faster with this project too.
This third branch of my software is in pre-alpha stage, and very rustic; the 3D Evoart branch is alpha, and the old 2D Evoart original is Beta and almost abandoned... My obvious problem is finding the time to continue the development and keeping a job, and some remains of having-a-life yet.
Eventually will show something more on this, although I know how boring this is, even though I find interesting the future possibilities of this grammar and tech (nology - nique).

2 comments:

Will Doohan said...

Hmmm, is that what a BORG cube looks like when traveling thru multidimensional space?

runnerfrog said...

- Indeed! The green cubes shall inherit the earth, and shall delight themselves in the abundance of "piece"! :-P

- We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

- Uh-Oh.

Blog Archive