Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Hearts afire

Have a beautiful worker's day, and please rest as I do. :-) I'll be on a diet of champagne, truffles and romantic music composers; and I'll see if I can convince a hot girl of going to the opera and making-out during it :-) it's worker's day!.

I don't like long posts to not bore, anyhow, if you read it may be you find it interesting, because few of the words are mine.

This is some of the things I cannot forget any time I read Byron or Shelley.
Edward Trelawny, Leigh Hunt, Lord Byron, some italian people and some soldiers asisted to Percy Shelley funeral pyre... Many hearts, but one, were on fire there that day, and after.
May be Edward Trelawny, who was there, and was able of managing the whole scene, can explain clearly to the ones who doesn't understand my simple words:

"Mrs. Shelley's large grey eyes were fixed on my face. I turned away. Unable to bear this horrid silence, with a convulsive effort she exclaimed: Is there no hope? I did not answer, but left the room and sent the servant with the children to them"
[...]
"Do not repeat this with me. Said Byron. Let my carcass rot where it falls. The funeral pyre was now ready; I applied the fire, and the materials being dry and resinous the pine wood burnt furiously, and drove us back."

"The Greek oration was omitted, for we had lost our Hellenic bard."

"Let us try to strengthen of these waters that drowned our friends, said Byron, with his usual audacity. How far out do you think they were when their boat sank? -If you do not wish to be put into the furnace, you had better not try; you are not in condition. He stripped, and went into the water, and so did I and my companion. Before we got a mile out, Byron was sick, and persuaded to return to the shore. My companion, too, was seized with cramp, and reached the land by my aid. At four o' clock the funeral pyre burnt low, and when we uncovered the furnace, nothing remained in it but dark coloured ashes, and fragments of the larger bones."

"Byron asked me to preserve the skull for him; but remembering that he had formerly used one as a drinking cup, I was determined Shelley's should be not so profaned."

"Byron could not face the scene, he withdrew to the beach and swam off to the "Bolivar". Leigh Hunt remained on the carriage. The fire was so fierce as to produce a white heat on the iron, and reduce its contents to grey ashes. The only portions that were not consumed were some fragments of bones, the jaw, and the skull, but what surprised us all, was that the heart remained entire. In snatching this relic from the fiery furnace, my hand was severly burnt; and had any one seen me doing this act I should have been put into quarantine."

"Yet, see how extremes can appear to meet even on occasion the most overwhelming; nay, even by reason of them; for as cold can perform the effect of fire, and burn us, so can despair put on the monstrous aspect of mirth. On returning from one of our visits to the seashore, we dined and drank; I mean, Lord Byron and myself; dined little, and drank too much. Lord Byron had not shone that day, even in his cups, which usually brought out his best qualities. As to myself, I had bordered upon emotions which I have never suffered myself to indulge, and which, foolishly as well as impatiently, render calamity, as somebody turned it, an affront, and not a misfortune. The barouche drove rapidly through the forest of pisa. We sang, we laughed, we shouted, I even felt a gaiety the more shocking, because it was real and a relief. What the coachman thought of us, God knows; but he helped to make a ghastly trio. He was a good tempered fellow, and an affectionate husband and father; yet he had the reputation of having offered his master to kill a man. I wish to have no such waking dreams again. It was worthy of a German ballad."

This image if mine is called, obviously, "Hearts afire". Cheers.



6 comments:

Intergalactic Stacey said...

I just wanted to come and say thanks again for your donation. It means a lot to me that you are supportive of me as I walk for the March of Dimes. This donation really helped me a lot to reach my goal!

I do not know much about Percy, but I do know of Mary who wrote Frankenstein!

There is something wonderful about classic literature. Even without meaning to be, it is romantic.

Your image is beautiful. That's how I feel when I look at art as gorgeous and unique as yours. Your style is all your own. Brilliantly so!

Intergalactic Stacey said...

By the way, my middle name is Reneé.

runnerfrog said...

And what a book Mary wrote! She was aided by Percy and Byron in its early developing, but later she stood alone in the writing, and she did it awesomelly well.

Oh, look at that, so you discovered that relation between classic and romantic literature, then, you have a gifted mind for reading, never believe that is little thing.

Oliviah said...

That is a powerful image. It seems that there is a living person in the midst of it. Amazing!

Stargazer said...

As Oliviah wrote, there seems to be a person in there. Your artwork shows such depth.

runnerfrog said...

Thanks a lot, girls, Oliviah, Deborah and Stacey. Can you believe I did it and do not see a person? :-D You are such creative and inspiring. That's why I love fractal artists, God! What vision.

Blog Archive