Thursday, April 12, 2007

Beam of fire in Polyphemus eye

Working late. Fifteen minutes coffeebreak. Enough time to let the NetAdmin (me) upload some crap to his own blog. Then the NetAdmin will erase his tracks from the server logs. Unfair to others who cannot use the company internet connection to personal affairs, but, well, the NetAdmin freak is a Proxy/Firewall trespasser. Hihihi. Ohhh, my ethics...
Going on with my/our friends, the ancient greeks, in Homer's Odyssey: guile Odysseus at the cyclops cave presented himself to Polyphemus (son of Posidon) as "NoMan", hardened an olive wood beam, using fire in its tip from the Polyphemus own cave bonfire, and he with his men, sunked the beam in Polyphemus only giant eye. He screamed that NoMan was hurting him, so no other Cyclop went to his aid.

[...] Then I thrust the beam of wood far into the embers to heat it, and encouraged my men lest any of them should turn faint-hearted. When the wood, green though it was, was about to blaze, I drew it out of the fire glowing with heat, and my men gathered round me, for heaven had filled their hearts with courage. We drove the sharp end of the beam into the monster's eye, and bearing upon it with all my weight I kept turning it round and round as though I were boring a hole in a ship's plank with an auger, which two men with a wheel and strap can keep on turning as long as they choose. Even thus did we bore the red hot beam into his eye, till the boiling blood bubbled all over it as we worked it round and round, so that the steam from the burning eyeball scalded his eyelids and eyebrows, and the roots of the eye sputtered in the fire. As a blacksmith plunges an axe or hatchet into cold water to temper it- for it is this that gives strength to the iron- and it makes a great hiss as he does so, even thus did the Cyclops' eye hiss round the beam of olive wood, and his hideous yells made the cave ring again. We ran away in a fright, but he plucked the beam all besmirched with gore from his eye, and hurled it from him in a frenzy of rage and pain, shouting as he did so to the other Cyclopes who lived on the bleak headlands near him; so they gathered from all quarters round his cave when they heard him crying, and asked what was the matter with him.

"'What ails you, Polyphemus,' said they, 'that you make such a noise, breaking the stillness of the night, and preventing us from being able to sleep? Surely no man is carrying off your sheep? Surely no man is trying to kill you either by fraud or by force? "But Polyphemus shouted to them from inside the cave, 'Noman is killing me by fraud! Noman is killing me by force!'

"'Then,' said they, 'if no man is attacking you, you must be ill; when Jove makes people ill, there is no help for it, and you had better pray to your father Posidon.'


"Then they went away, and I laughed inwardly at the success of my clever stratagem [...]


This is "Beam of fire in Polyphemus eye", giant Polyphemus eye in the upper right, Odysseus under the light of fire, down left; and the scream and blood, washing the cave.



Click to enlarge if you want, it is a neofauvist painting worked out with Evolutionary Art software (genetic algorithms related; nothing to do with fractal art). Think it as a 2 meter x 2 meter canvas.
I'm doubtfully hoping someone can enjoy it at some level. :-/

Cheers.

6 comments:

Giovanni C. said...

Wow! This is beautiful! :)

runnerfrog said...

Believe me: I was not expecting that! :-D
But then I noticed I was quoting Homer, so, yes, he wrote beautifully. ;-)
We, many, thank him for being such a great inspirational writer.

Oliviah said...

What fun! I love this blog.

runnerfrog said...

Oliviah, I'm starting to doubt about your mental health, then, *lol*

You are very kind. I'm always worried about if I'm too long, too boring, etc. So I started to use literature and others people's ideas just to say something.

After you publish "magical garden" I get an inspiration to a new genetic thread. So, you've been linked to runnerfroggie hell-torment left-barside, girl. :-)

TC.

Stargazer said...

I'm with Oliviah, "What fun!" Your blog is quite interesting and entertaining.

Oh, and fantastic artwork!

Hmm, I'm new here so I'll just have to keep looking...

runnerfrog said...

Well, I appreciate a lot your kindness. My commenters resulted to be very friendly and lovely people!
Great for me. I hope to keep you all entertained, then.
Cheers! *one champagne sip* hihi.

Blog Archive